Week 12 Questions:
1. Talk generally about the books you saw today. What ones were the most effective and why?
I like the books that got more creative rather than just plugging in photos and ordering. I liked the hand made books alot. I got bored with most of them though, especially the appropriated book. To be honest I kind of just browsed through them because they were dull to me. I like the ones that had thought go into them.
2. Write a bit about your book making process.
I have to admit mine was pretty simple. I created my own template. I made custom pages in order to plug 5×7 photos into it. I used a rectangle shape because I thought it looked the best. I didn’t know about the cheap rag paper at the time but if I had to change anything I would have used that and I would have ordered a hard cover.
3. Do you plan to use Blurb or other print-to-order publishers in the future? If so, how do you plan to use it? If not, why not?
I would definitely use Blurb again. I think it is worth the money. I love books and I love making books.
4. Read Andy Adams Blog piece before the lecture on Thur. Write some thoughts and at least one question for him.
If I were to ask Andy Adams a question I think I would ask him why he hasn’t hired an assistant or someone to help him yet… Seems like ALOT of work and very time consuming and I am sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to help in order to learn. I might also ask him if he has own work? I have have not been able to find his own personal work, and I have no clue if he even makes photographs, which I find strange.
5. Write a short review of the lecture and your thoughts about what he talked about. Do you think it is relevant to you and your practice as an artist or designer or student? Do you agree with his perspective?
I think his lecture was very helpful for me as a student, and an artist. I think it is very important to be aware of the sites that expose up coming artist and it is very useful to know that the people who run these blogs are so accessible, at least Andy definitely seems to be.
6. Now that you have been given the assignment sheet for the Final Project, write briefly about what your initial thoughts/ideas/questions are about the final project.
I want to do something that involves the internet. I think it is central to the class and I want to explore its place in culture in some way.